Search My Yard!

Friday, September 26, 2014

Just the Palms

Here are a couple of pics of just my palm trees. As the tropical plants start to fade, the hardy palms will definitely become the star of the show again, but only until it gets really cold and they have to be covered up.

Here is my first year with my Mexican Fan Palm (Washingtonia robusta). The plan is to protect it with a frost cloth and garbage bin anytime temperatures are forecasted to drop below 28F. I will make sure to put christmas lights on under that protection whenever temperatures drop below 25F. It's still young so I want to make sure it doesn't see too much cold.

My Sabal minor is no stranger to cold after the protection on it failed during the coldest night of the year last winter (3F). It was damaged pretty badly since it seems to be more tender than other minors, but it's also faster growing than most other minors and has fully recovered.


My European Fan Palm saw the same cold as my Sabal minor. It was completely defoliated but it surprised me by surviving! It hasn't made a full recovery yet, but it looks really good and is definitely ready for another winter (hopefully the protection won't fail this year!)

My Livistona and Trachys are completely covered in tropical plants, but they will be visible again after we get our first hard frost in about 2 months.


The Adondila palm is enjoying it's last few weeks outdoors. It will head indoors around October. Its getting big so hopefully it fits through the door this year!


My bottle palm will be going inside soon also. It looks like it will try opening up one more frond this season, making it 2 fronds for the season. 

No comments:

Post a Comment