Search My Yard!

Friday, July 14, 2023

Night Blooming Cereus Cactus (Cereus repandus) in bloom!

I’m normally a morning person, but I’ll make an exception once a year when my Night Blooming Cereus is in bloom! The blooms only open up for a few hours out of the whole YEAR! Cereus is pronounced like "serious", but you don't have to be a "serious" plant collector to get these to stay happy./

Botanically known as Cereus repandus, this is a true desert cactus. It’s perfect for a sunny spot where you can give it all the love or neglect you want. I prefer to give it love! This is my first year growing one so I'm not sure what triggers blooming. It grows well as a houseplant, but I think it requires hot temperatures that come with summer outside to bring beautiful blooms.


Battle of the Night Blooming Cereus

This plant is often confused with a rainforest cactus that goes by the same common name (Epiphyllum oxypetalum is the botanical name). Epiphyllum also blooms at night. It is so easy to take care of. You can see mine in the photo below - relaxing by the pond last August. 


Both plants are easy to start from cuttings. My orchid cactus in the photo above was propagated from a cutting that a lovely neighbor gave me when I was living in Florida (where they grow in the trees!)

Ephyphillum oxypetalum
 last August

My night Blooming Cereus Cactus doesn't have a strong fragrance. I was surprised based on previous comments about the plant ... so let's pump the breaks on the hype there. Ephyphillum is incredibly fragrant so maybe my expectations were just too high on the Cereus. 

Cereus Repandus bloom for comparison

I do think Cereus Repandus is overall a much easier potted plant for the average home because it grows tall and slim. 


Orchid cactus don't know how to stay in their lane. Mine is currently a beautiful prisoner trapped in a tomato cage! 








No comments:

Post a Comment