Search My Yard!

Saturday, July 8, 2023

My first Dark Leaf Crape Myrtle

Have you ever seen a Crape Myrtle with beautiful dark leaves? Crape Myrtles are so common in the South, but these new varieties have only been around for the past 10 years and are hardly recognizable!


This variety called “Center Stage Coral” is brand new! It's cold-tolerant and blooms earlier than other varieties. What's there not to love? So far I'm sold! Most Crape Myrtles in New York don't even begin to bloom until mid-July. Some trees wait until August! 


Center  Stage Coral grows 6 to 12 feet tall. but I can tell it has a short growth habit so I think it'll do well in this pretty white pot for a few years. I felt I'd lose a lot of the beauty if I put it in the ground.




PS: Fun fact for my Florida friends … this crape myrtle was trailed and tested at the University of Florida in Gainesville. For those of you who haven't followed along with my career, Gainesville was the first place I called home away from home. It holds a special place in my heart and is a huge inspiration for my garden! 


No comments:

Post a Comment