Search My Yard!

Saturday, July 8, 2023

Comparing my Garden Spaces through the years

They say gardening takes patience *and it does* but transformations can happen before your eyes. That's why I love taking before and after photos of my own garden on Long Island and the garden I've grown up caring for at my parent's house on Staten Island. 

This post is about how my garden spaces have changed through the years. Later in the summer, I'll post comparisons about how much things have changed from spring to summer - honestly, I think that one will be even more exciting! 

 Move-in Day- May 2022

WHOA, how'd that get there - September 2022


My first tropical transformation is something I am so proud of! My mom actually suggested I put a banana tree where the hydrangeas are so I have to give her credit for that. She didn't have an interest in tropical plants when I was growing up, but she's taken care of so many of mine over the years that I think she's grown very fond of them! 

May 2022 - Move-in Day (notice all the plants still in the driveway)

 The Windmill Palm survived its first winter outside alongside the yucca gloriosa and a gardenia. The other plants were all new for this year. 

June 9, 2023

Look at all the growth just one month later It's just spectacular to see!
July 2022

July 2023



July 2022

I added patio furniture to the space in front of my house. 
July 2023

Along the path, I have a Trachycarpus. It's my welcome home sign, but the Vinca didn't quite work in that spot last year.
July 2022

This year I opted for Petunias and added pine bark mulch to help with moisture. I also extended my plantings along the entire length of the path.
July 2023

The backyard had a blank spot against the house that gets full, baking sunshine all day long. It's perfect for tropical perennials like ginger, cannas, and bananas. So that's what I planted!
Early July 2022

The Viente Cohol banana is so much bigger. It's growing a new leaf each week. The garden bed is lined with Dahlia in the front. The dark foliage on one side compliments the dark cannas behind the Dahlia on the other side. I love how this turned out! 


Early July 2023

Also in the photo above, I want to point out a few fun winter survivors! The cannas, Sabal Minor, and even my Southern Star Jasmine (hidden from view) all survived this past winter low of 3F flawlessly in this mild microclimate.

That sunny and hot area against my house extends to my patio. I was really excited to get a container garden going here, but last year it looked SO awkward. 

July 2022

This year I added watermelon vines to the front for a little bit more texture & put larger plumeria to fill the space better. It made a huge difference.
July 2023

This next part of the series is from my parent's garden on Staten Island.

The windmill palms and plumeria in this photo were just tiny plants from Ebay in 2009. I was in high school. It's such a gift to have literally grown up with these plants. 


August 2013

It took nearly a decade, but now I couldn't fit elephant ears or bananas by the pool even if I dreamed of it. The windmill palms are so big and stately on their ow. 

August 2021

August 2022

July 2023

The Windmill Palms almost died in 2017 after a harsh winter. Funny enough the tiny one of the two actually grew faster than its twin after this brush with death. Here's their recovery. 

July 2018

June 2022

July 2023

Last year the tropical palms had a REALLY rough time adjusting back outside. It was the worst year yet.

June 2022

They recovered fully by the end of 2022 and are starting off a little nicer looking this year!
June 2023








No comments:

Post a Comment