Search My Yard!

Monday, March 4, 2024

Phaius tankervilleae (Nun Orchid)

 I'm so excited to write that my Nun Orchid is blooming! This is an unusual, but incredibly low maintenance houseplant that blooms once or twice a year (for me typically in the spring!). I believe the common name comes from the orientation of the blooms which look like a nun is praying. The botanical name is Phaius tankervilleae. 

I lived in a high floor apartment in South Carolina for several years and this plant was severely tattered up which kept it for blooming. Ironically, it's doing much better up here in a cooler climate now that it's wind protected during the summer on my patio. 

So if you're a northern gardener give this a try. It'll bloom right in time for the Easter season! 






No comments:

Post a Comment