Search My Yard!

Monday, March 4, 2024

Early March 2024 update from my parent's garden


Winter barely started and it's already coming to a close. Our low temperature this year was 16F. It's one of the mildest on record.

Windmill palms sailed through this winter. Underneath is my Florida Anise. I planted the windmill palms as seedlings in March 2009. Happy 15th birthday!
My European Fan Palms (Chamaerops humilis) are doing fantastic in containers. They've produced viable seed and overwinter in the garage on nights below 20F (which only happened 3 times this year!)


Camellia Spring Promise is blooming beautifully this year much earlier than ever




Hellebore are such a wonderful gift. They have been blooming since February. I got this from Trader Joes. It stays outside in a container all year.


The windmill palm at the bottom step was a rescue from a local nursery. It looks fantastic after spending most of the winter outdoors (inside below 20F). The Magnolia figo (Banana shrub) has such large buds! 


Indoors things are coming to life too! Here's my Pretty Princess Plumeria I bought in 2010! 



Adondila and ti plants are ready for another summer outside!


The bottle palm is hanging in too!


Parsley survived the winter too!


So did the Kale. No protection whatsoever.


Longleaf pine looking flawless this year. Last year the needles were very yellow. 


The crocus are so happy.


Speaking of the bottle palm, I'm definitely a bit worried about the damage to the trunk. This could be the beginning of the end.


A happy tillandsia on my largest plumeria.




No comments:

Post a Comment