Search My Yard!

Saturday, July 9, 2016

Lots of July Photos around the yard

Here's a collection of the photos you haven't seen of my yard this month!

A Few Close - Ups
Hibiscus "Mandarin Wind"


Hibiscus flowers look especially beautiful in the early morning when they first open up.


Another hibiscus closeup


A close up on some of the elephant ears and cannas in the front yard bed.


Colocasia "Nancy Revenge" Looking very full and healthy



These lantanas survived the winter well inside the house and are blooming beautifully!


Water makes a great back drop for anything, especially these canna blooms!


Cleome closeup


The butterflies love these fuzzy blooms


Passiflora incarnata is definitely a winner! 


My potted confederate jasmine did most of its blooming in March but it is throwing up a few blooms now which is great! I love the fragrance.


I got this oleander on clearance last fall. It's a heavy bloomer!


Underneath my Crape Myrtle, daylilies provide some extra color.


I got these orchids in January and they won't stop blooming. There are lots of new buds ready to open. They are in full shade.


New Things

It's Gardenia season! I got this Frostproof Gardenia from home depot a few weeks ago for only $30. There are a ton of blooms on it and the fragrance is really incredible.



Chuck Hayes Gardenia only blooms once a season, but when it blooms you can barely see the leaves. Here are a few of the blooms. 




A local nursery had heliconias in stock so I had to get one! They did not label them, but it looks like it may be Heliconia psittacorum "Lady Di"




Some NYC Winter Survivors

My Livistona Chinensis is coming back from another NYC winter. It completely defoliated this winter as it does every year, but they are very good at coming back. The Purple hearts have also survived 5 winters. 


Petnas, azaleas, camellias, and hardy hibiscus. A surprisingly nice combo and other than the petnas, completely hardy! 


Can't remember the ID of these striped shade loving plants but they survived their first winter and are coming back with a vengence. They are in complete shade so I highly recommend these for bringing the tropical look to the shade garden.



Here is my Sabal Birmingham and Cleomes and some very dwarf cannas. The birmingham really struggled with it's first winter. The cannas survived without any issues. 


One of my Sabal minors survived the winter without any issues but this one struggled a lot. I've had it for 6 years now and it's very tender but also fast growing.


These are "Summer Storm Hibiscus" which are supposed to be an improvement to "Kopper King" (which you wouldn't think even needed improving!). I got them last summer and they were sending out blooms into NOVEMBER which is really impressive for a hardy hibiscus. I am excited to see what these plants are capable of! 


These castor beans are volunteers from last year. They are a purple variety but look green right now. I think they'll become purple now that they are starting to outcompete the cannas for sunlight. I might have to move my basil since it's very close to the castor beans and castor beans are very posionous! 


Southern Magnolias are about as southern as it gets. My tree has been transplanted several times in the past 4 years and is still in some shock. The foliage is pretty sparse, but it is definitely blooming normally!




Other Scenes around the Yard 

My potted Livistona and bottle palms.


My Staghorn fern is filling out nicely. They can't get enough of our east coast humidity! 


My front stairs.


Definitely disappointed with the growth rate on my Musa Basjoo in the front yard. It's newly planted and already has a lot of pups which is great. I think it will start to push out more growth as the season progresses but I am not expecting it to be too impressive this season.


These cannas will hopefully cover up this machinery by the end of the month. It's a bit of an eyesore right now.


My favorite spot to sit and relax! 


Everything is starting to fill out but there's definitely more growing to do!



I counted 9 plumeria plants in this photo! 




I will end with one of my favorite views in the yard this year. The Ensete banana is doing amazingly well in its second year especially considering how hard of a time I have getting them to overwinter. I feel the spanish moss and farfargum add a lot of texture and character to the scene.



A close up on my Ensete banana with a combination of potato vine, begonias, and caladiums underneath. The potato vine always gets way out of hand so this year I planted it in its original nursery pot to keep it contained.




Thanks for looking! 



No comments:

Post a Comment