Search My Yard!

Thursday, July 7, 2016

Just a Few Weeks of Summer

It's amazing how much the tropicals can grow in just a few weeks. In this blog post, the before photos were taken in Mid May. After photos were taken sometime in the past week. 

My plumerias have filled out a lot in a few weeks. My "Crazy" plumeria is about to open up it's first blooms of the season (it's in bloom a LOT more often than it is not!).  What's most impressive is the basil. I had little faith that it would even survive but now I'm cooking with basil every day and still struggling to keep up! 

Before

After

After



My potted elephant ears are filling out pretty well! Focus on the elephant ear in the black pot in the "before" photo below.
Before


After


I did some rearranging with the potted plants near my door (I will make another post about that process), but the result is a much fuller and more organized looking scene.

Before

 After




This clump of banana cannas has grown tremendously in the past few weeks. It's already taller than me and there are no signs of it stopping. So far I love these cannas! My mekong giant is in this same bed. Despite dying to the ground completely, it is already taller than my Musa Basjoo. I love the shape my fig has taken on this season. It will be easy to prune as a tree next season.

Before

 After

My oldest brugmansia took a major hit in the garage this past winter (it was 12 feet tall last season and is now 4 feet tall) but it's growing back very quickly and is already starting to bloom. The brugmansia to the left is growing much slower, but hopefully will bloom this season for the first time ever (I've had it for 2 years). My Colocasia "Nancy Revenge" has filled out really nicely.

 Before

After
 

I'm a little disappointed with some of my plants in the pool area. The elephant ears, banana canna, palms, and gardenias are all doing fantastic, but the banana plants are definitely having a slow start in terms of adding height. It's still early in the season though so we'll see what happens with the bananas in the weeks ahead! 




As always, thanks for looking! 





No comments:

Post a Comment