Search My Yard!

Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Hedychium Daniel Weeks in bloom

Hedychium gingers are such fun plants. They have a similar cold tolerance to cannas, but bring a really unique tropical vibe to the yard because of their incredibly fragrant blooms. Unfortunately, most of my gingers (like my Butterfly Ginger aka Hedychium coronarium) don't start blooming until September. That's where "Daniel Weeks" comes in. 

Daniel Weeks survived its first winter here on Long Island without mulch or protection. It wasn't even planted close to the house! The flowers are such a pretty yellow, and the blooms start opening up in mid-August. This variety stays a bit smaller than my others and seems to have a more upright structure. Overall I'm really happy with these! 






No comments:

Post a Comment