Search My Yard!

Sunday, June 18, 2023

Tropical plants are finally waking up!

Growing tropical plants up north takes a lot of patience. We love tropicals because they grow so quickly, but they are usually very slow to wake up. The garden really doesn't fill out until late June! 


You can see the Plumerias are still totally leafless as of late May. I love these plants because the blooms emerge with the first leaves so you get to enjoy these plants in their full glory by mid-summer (blooms and all!)





The cannas and star jasmine on the trellis survived the winter. I planted my Musa Viente Cohol and Musa Bengal Tiger in this spot along with Dahlia, Ginger, Zinnia, and Colocasia. 


These cannas at my parent's house (robert kemp) also survived the winter. They have been in the ground for a long time now and get bigger each year!


I store my hedychium ginger in the garage. The tradescantia sillamontana vines also survive the winter in the garage. It trails beautifully in planters and brings gorgeous blue flowers all summer long! 


No comments:

Post a Comment