Search My Yard!

Thursday, June 29, 2023

My first year growing Dahlias. What took me so long!?

It’s a challenge to find plants that look tropical and grow in New York, but Dahlias make it easy 🌺

4 months ago these plants were just dormant roots sitting in ziplock bags filled with soil on my windowsill. Now they’re my favorite plant!




This is my first year growing Dahlias. For some reason, I always thought of them as an “old fashioned” formal flower, but I was totally wrong! They compliment tropical foliage beautifully.


I wasn't sure if the Dahlias would work out so I planted Zinnias from seed alongside them. It turns out they work well together!

Best of all you can dig them up in Autumn and store them in the garage. They’ll just get bigger and better the following year!


Here's a bonus photo: My "Rising Moon" lily. Just an amazing plant that will come back year after year. It can get up to 6 feet allegedly!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment