Search My Yard!

Thursday, March 16, 2023

Let's grow a Hardy Tree Fern in New York!

I tried growing a Dicksonia Antarctica many years ago and failed miserably! (Check this post for how it looked in 2013 and this one for a peek at that same fern when it was much larger in 2010). 

It took a decade, but I'm willing to try again! The last time I grew these tree ferns I kept it in a very small pot. It died in the house from lack of water. The roots are very fine and fibrous so I honestly didn't realize it needed potting up. This time I'm starting it off in a big pot and I'm going to drag it into the garage during its first winter when temperatures drop into the low 20sF. Eventually, I'd like to plant it in the ground and cover it during the winter - but I'm in no rush. 

I also purchased a Magnolia figo. It's also known as a banana bush because the flowers smell like bananas. I'll plant it in the ground and protect it during the winter. Magnolia figo is cold tolerant to about 15F. 




No comments:

Post a Comment