Search My Yard!

Thursday, February 16, 2023

70F in FEBRUARY on Long Island?

 It's never happened before... at least not in Islip since records began in 1963... 70F in February! I feel like I'm still living in South Carolina, or perhaps even Florida. This afternoon was legitimately warm. I sent my tropical plants outside for air and some rain. 

Trachycarpus and potted camellias hanging out with potted tropicals.

Greenhouse azaleas from trader joes. These are frost sensitive.

The Owari Mandarin is looking great but my lemon tree is rough! Both in the garage over the winter.

Love this Nicholas Diamond fern!

Chamadorea Microspadix is somehow able to handle down to 20F and still looks SO tropical!

Indoors, the longer days are forcing the banana plant to send a new leaf (see the top right!)


At my parents house, the sedum (Stonecrop) plants are returning! 


Bottle palm is getting air. SHE IS HEAVY!

Sedum sprouting. Amazing!

At my parents house!

Loving Cordyline "Pink Diamond". It's much better indoors than other ti plants. 


Spring bulbs are eager to sprout! On my walk around town this afternoon I saw crocus, snowdrops, daffodils, and even forsynthia all in bloom. 

Daffodils are on their way up!


Although the tropical plants will go back inside tomorrow night, extreme cold just isnt in the forecast yet. It's quite amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment