Search My Yard!

Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Gardening in the DEAD of winter

It's my first winter back in New York, zone 7 and I have to say it's been a weird one. Temperatures here on Long Island dropped to 7F, our coldest low temperature in nearly 3 years. Here we are 1 week later enjoying an 8-day stretch of days in the 50s! 

This is my first year growing Hellebores and I am so impressed with them. They're green all winter and blooming in January. It's incredible! 



Tassle ferns are a MUST. They look incredible all year long and have never had problems in zone 7. This one is in full shade, but they can handle some sun too. 

I brought my camellias and variegated ivy into the garage during last week's cold. They can survive single-digit temperatures, but I didn't want to add any unnecessary stress or lose the blooms on the camellia.


One week ago, evergreens like rhododendrons and aucuba shriveled in the cold. It's a natural defense mechanism to prevent freeze damage. Fortunately, these plants bounced right back! 




ON STATEN ISLAND

Unfortunately, the Fatsia japonica at my parent's house was not so lucky. I was really surprised to see the damage from a zone 7 hardy plant after such a brief burst of single-digit cold. I've been told they perform better in shade protected from the winter wind. It should easily resprout in the spring, but it won't look great for the rest of the winter. 


Much better news to share about my Sabal Minor. It looks great with no supplemental protection! 






No comments:

Post a Comment