Search My Yard!

Sunday, January 29, 2023

A quick appreciation post for Camellias!

 In my previous post at Planting Fields Arboretum in Oyster Bay, I gave the tropical greenhouse a lot of appreciation, but they have a really cool greenhouse (literally, it's chilly!) filled with gorgeous temperate camellias. 

Long Island is mild enough to grow a variety of camellias outside as you can see below. Getting blooms in January though ... that's pretty challenging up here! Compared to the camellias growing in the south, I've found that NY camellias don't bloom for as long and aren't as floratious. The buds occasionally suffer cold damage because of the very windy weather we experience in the winter. 



Inside the greenhouses though, these camellias are thriving! Check out my favorite, Debutante! 

I love the symmetry of these white and pink ones too. 




I'm not familiar with Camellia synaptica. I love the blooms though. It almost reminds me of a white poppy in a way. 



I wish the Solandra Maxima was in bloom when I was there. I'll have to visit again soon. The golden trumpet flowers are a SIGHT TO SEE! The fragrance will knock you off your feet. 

Speaking of gorgeous fragrances, how about these winter blooms! Edgeworthia are a beautiful ornamental that are so fascinating in the winter landscape





No comments:

Post a Comment