Search My Yard!

Thursday, July 9, 2020

Aint this the bee's knees?

My parents have a wood gazebo which has unfortunately become home to a carpenter bee nest. These bees bore into wood to lay eggs. They can weaken wooden structures, but otherwise are pretty tame so I suggested to my parents that they let the bees do their thing for now. It looks like the bees feel VERY comfortable and at home because I caught this carpenter bee taking a morning snooze on my parent's hydrangea!



This piqued my interest on the subject. It turns out for most species, male bees are more likely to be caught sleeping because they don't return to the nest. Bees appear to follow irregular sleeping patterns (I can relate to that these days!) so they'll take a brief nap, often in the morning.

You got to admit, it's a comfy-looking spot. Sleep tight!

No comments:

Post a Comment