Search My Yard!

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Hardy Palm of the Day: Pindo Palms!

Pindo Palms (Butia capitata) are one of the hardiest feather leafed palms that there are. Jubaea may prove hardier with age. Pindo palms are quite fast growing and many have a really nice bluish tint to the fronds. Some pindos are completely green, the species is extremely variable.

Here is a picture of my butia going into it's second summer now. I have another one that is growing in shade and not doing as well. That one is going into it's 4th summer now. I do provide winter protection in my zone 7. This takes about 5 minutes to put on and can easily be taken off after cold spells are over. Last winter I barely protected this butia and the other butia was not protected at all.

ff73baea.jpg

I highly recommend this palm for the eastern US.

No comments:

Post a Comment