Search My Yard!

Thursday, June 20, 2024

Desert Blooms (& a few others too) in mid-June

 You might be surprised to see these desert-look alikes thriving in New York! 



This is the best bloom year I've ever seen for yuccas in my parents yard and in the area in general! 

Yucca filamentosa 

Yucca gloriosa var tristis
'




It's a great season for southern Magnolia!

My sabal minor sets seed every year


Yucca gloriosa is native to coastal parts of the southeastern US, but do incredibly well in NY. I actually didn't plant any of these! It's the first time I've had blooms on these plants after watching them grow as little "weeds" 20 years ago! 




Who says you can't have color in the shade. Rex Begonia looking lovely along with abutilon and a really unusual shield leaf begonia.



Here are a few other blooms! 


My new Frostproof Gardenia 
My White Lava Elephant Ear
Thunbergia battiscombei peeking out
Interesting tropical hibiscus! Not sure how I feel about this variety
It's getting tropical looing!



The plumerias are slow to leaf out
Volunteer cleome

For under $30 it was a great deal!

Aloe Vera starting to bloom




















No comments:

Post a Comment