Search My Yard!

Thursday, May 25, 2023

Rhododendron in my tropical yard - Long Island NY zone 7

I love my tropical plants, but this post will show you why there's nothing wrong with planting "common" shrubs in your exotic garden paradise. 



Rain or shine (in the first photo - clearly rain) I can't get enough of my rhododendron bush. The blooms last only a month and usually are at their best in late May. 


I'm really enjoying the flowery background behind tropical plants like my Gaussia princeps and Licuala grandis palms, alongside other tropicals like Ti Plant "Singapore Twist" and False Agave. 


This Rhododendron species isn't fragrant


But my Potted Owari Satsuma Mandarin Citrus is! 


My Siam Ruby Banana is growing quickly despite our cool late spring weather. This red banana is a heat lover.


Inside the house


At my parents house on Staten Island, NY (zone 7 also!) Knockout Roses and Rhododendron make a gorgeous frame against my 13 year old Sabal Minor.


The Sabal Minor is completely unprotected. This past winter we reached 6F and it had no damage. The Yucca Recurvifolia to the right was planted by birds about 20 years ago. 






No comments:

Post a Comment