Search My Yard!

Friday, October 28, 2022

Update on my zone 7 Mediterranean Fan Palms (Chamaerops humilis)

Chamaerops humilis are known for their cold tolerance, but it turns out these palms grow exceptionally well in containers! Mine go into the unheated garage when temperatures drop near 20F and spend about 10 months out of the year outside. 

Over the years I've grown these in New York City outside in the ground. Click HERE for posts describing my experience with this palm tree. They, unfortunately, died when temperatures dropped close to 0F, and their protection failed, but now I'm growing them in planters. 

The planters look gorgeous in the late October garden and I often leave them outside through the holidays. As you'll see below, it didn't grow a lot during their first year in their containers (2021), but this year (2022) a lot of new fronds flushed out through the summer. I am growing Verbena underneath which is a very cold-tolerant hanging plant that blooms beautifully in the spring and early summer.



May 2022


Summer 2021

Newly planted in November 2020. 


Chamaerops humilis is the only species of palm tree native to Europe, but it's one of the most versatile landscape plants in the world! I've seen these palms grow beautifully in cold climates like Vancouver, Canada, wet and tropical climates like the Caribbean, and hot and sunny climates like Las Vegas! 

Chamaerops grow in such a wide range of climates because they can handle cold and heat exceptionally well. There is even a blue form that in my experience performs even better than the green form! 


No comments:

Post a Comment