Search My Yard!

Sunday, February 16, 2020

Low Maintenance Tropical Yard in New York City (2019 Edition!)

Hi Everyone!
For the regulars on my blog - firstly - thank you! I am so happy to see I'm not the only person who is interested in bringing that piece of paradise to a cold climate. If you're wondering why I stopped posting here frequently, it's because I moved away from New York! I'm 25 years old and left the nest for work. I'm actually gardening more than ever because I spread my wings and flew south, first to Florida and now to South Carolina! You can keep up on my social media for all the details on my current happenings.


But the yard you see on this blog - that's where my heart is. I've been gardening here with tropical plants since I was 13 years old. WAY before it was cool. So each year,  I save up all my vacation days at work to visit my parents during the growing season. I still bring my New York potted tropical plants outside during the summer (and inside during the winter) and take care of all the tropicals in the ground.

So the pictures I'm about to share are of plants that can handle an owner that lives hundreds of miles away. VERY low maintenance! 2019 was a huge milestone because many of my potted plants (like my giant plumeria which is ridiculously tall now!).

This year I planted some beautiful hydrangeas and a longleaf pine to the yard. Unfortunately, 2018 - 2019 was a very rough year for my Trachycarpus so they're looking a bit worn, but 2020 has been kind so far. I think they'll be back to their former glory by Summer 2020 so stay tuned!


Plumeria city! These chairs are perfectly positioned to enjoy the smell of those beautiful blooms at night. These plants are so easy to take care of because they go dormant when they go inside during the winter. No leaves = no pests & very few winter waterings! These are strictly tropical.



The big momma plumeria! It's so tall that I can only see the blooms from the second floor. 
 
Here are those blooms! 


Bougainvilleas make a great table top bloom because they love the heat and don't need a lot of water.



Pollinators love Coleus blooms. It probably explains why these annuals re-seed so easily around the yard. 

I love hibiscus! The red and pink blooms are from my tropical potted hibiscus which I've had for about 12 years now. 




Eucalyptus add that perfect pop of color to a container. They're fast-growing so you don't have to spend a ton of money to get a ton of pop! 




This bromeliad brings a stunning red color. They require very little water and soil which makes for some really unique container options!






-------------------------------------------------------
ON TO THE HARDY STUFF! 

Evergreen Dogwood hasn't been a reliable bloomer for me yet, but the leaves are beautiful and it looks exactly the same even during through our cold New York winters




Daphniphyllum macropodum aka redneck rhododendron is hardy and beautifully evergreen




Colocasia Illustris isn't hardy, but it's fast-growing and so colorful! You can save the bulbs.


Popcorn Cassia named because the leaves smell like buttered popcorn! A fun plant for kids although it's not cold hardy.



Can't go wrong with Dipladanea. These stay small unlike those big Mandevilla vines (which I also keep around the yard)



This hardy hibiscus turns head more than any other plant in my yard. It blooms from July until November! The leaves are a gorgeous purple color which turns orange and red during the fall. I mean this plant is gorgeous even without blooms, but WITH blooms, it's just WOW! 




Another favorite hardy hibiscus


Sabal minor is an easy hardy palm in New York City. This plant was very tender when I first planted it, but it somehow grew out of that. It's fully hardy now! 


The trachys struggled in 2019, but I think they'll be happier in 2020! 






Farfugium might be hardy in New York, but for me it's worth keeping in pots and bringing into the garage in the winter where I know they're safe. They have gorgeous yellow flowers in the Fall and those blooms can easily handle temperatures in the 20s. 

Yucca Filamentosa is the perfect year-round potted plant. It looks this beautiful all year long outdoors in New York and in even colder climates! The downside is they don't get very tall which is why they work great in pots where you can keep them at eye level. 


I've had this fig for many years. It doesn't need any protection, but branches will die back in cold years. This one is brown turkey. I have another variety called "Bronx Zoo" that receives almost no dieback and the foliage is beautiful. It's not as tasty though! 


The red cannas come back each year. They're called Robert Kemp (a heirloom variety). Hummingbirds LOVE these. 


These yellow cannas go into the garage.



Another new addition this year ... Passiflora incarnata and Amethyst Falls American Wisteria! This wisteria variety is not invasive which is so important. P. Incarnata is marginally hardy in New York City. During mild winters (like 2019-2020), this passiflora will actually stay green! I have lost this plant in other locations in my yard, but this spot is really warm so I hope it will be permanent here. 

Neither of these bloomed in 2019, but the wisteria should have a show this spring and the passiflora will take over in the summer!









No comments:

Post a Comment