Search My Yard!

Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Butterfly Ginger Blooms

A little back story on my ginger that I like to share every time they are doing something interesting....

In 2010 I visited Hawaii and there they have tons of places you can buy "a piece of hawaii" in the form of very tiny tourist plants. One of the plants I got was two tiny butterfly ginger rhizome (it was only about half an inch wide and 4 inches long.

Now, 6 years alter  I have a few butterfly ginger clumps around the yard and a ton of blooms to enjoy from them. These plants are so easy to grow and really rewarding. I don't know why they aren't more common up here since they are also pretty hardy, about as hardy as cannas. I bring my bulbs in the garage in January before the ground freezes so I don't lose them but I think they would at least partially overwinter if I left them in the ground unprotected.

Anyway I really recommend these plants because the foliage is beautiful and the blooms are even more so. Best of all they are really fragrant! Only downside is they bloom in Fall so if you don't have  a long growing season you'll have to start them indoors early and cross your fingers for a late first frost!

Here are some pics!







No comments:

Post a Comment