Search My Yard!

Thursday, August 13, 2015

Mekong Giant Update!

I am going to be honest, I am not good a growing bananas at all. I envy everyone who can grow them with such ease. They are supposed to be easy tropical fillers, as easy to grow as elephant ears and cannas. For me, I've had better luck with coconut palms! My Musa Basjoo has only put up 3 leaves this season (bananas should put up a leaf every week to 10 days in this kind of weather!). 

My Mekong Giant though might be the first banana I grow that really impresses me. I purchased it in July and it has already grown 4 leaves which is very reasonable. Its cold hardy and somewhat shade tolerant which is an incredible plus and I love the red undersides to the leaves. They seem to get better with age. I am really excited about this banana! If all goes well I may get another 4 leaves before the end of the good banana growing weather in about 6 weeks. 


Bonus pic of my Dwarf Cavendish. I don't know why the mother plant died but the babies made up for the loss!


No comments:

Post a Comment