Search My Yard!

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Gray Tree Frog (Hyla versicolor) in my yard!

Gray Tree Frogs had a hard time adjusting as Staten Island quickly developed in the 1960s. They were (as far as I have heard) completely extinct on the island less than 10 years ago. Some were reintroduced by the parks department in 2008. I haven't heard anything about it since.
June of this year came and I heard a noise in the bushes of my yard. Everyone in my home swore it was a bird but I knew it had to be a tree frog. I was not expecting to actually find the little guy considering they are about an inch long and often way up in the trees! 
I followed the sound and found it hiding inside my bromeliad. I've seen it in there about 4 or 5 times since. It seems to move around a bit, but it always comes back. 
It doesn't look like much, but the sound of the frog is incredible.



No comments:

Post a Comment