Search My Yard!

Thursday, September 14, 2023

September with the Bananas (and the plants I love to plant around them).

 My New York banana plant is reaching for the sky!

Let's start off with my most promising for fruit production, Viente Cohol. 



This is a tropical variety that produces edible fruit, which means I have to dig up the entire plant and store it inside over the winter. It’s a lot of work, but seeing the progress this plant has made in a year really makes me feel like it was all worthwhile!



Nearly all the tropical plants in my backyard are brought inside in the wintertime, but fortunately, most of them go dormant! The Angel Trumpets (Brugmansia) are another really easy plant to overwinter. I toss them into the garage and they come right back. The plants are bigger and bloom better with each passing year!

Musa Sikkimensis is looking lovely, and big!

Out of the variegated bananas, Sikkimensis is one of the easiest, but Siam Ruby is the most interesting!

Brugmansia smells incredible this time of the year


The easiest of the colorful bananas is definitely Ensete. Very frost tolerant and cool tolerant! 


Check out the Tibouchina!


And Colocasia Mojito with Alocasia Stingray




Datura has gorgeous blooms



The seed pods are pretty cool too.





No comments:

Post a Comment