Search My Yard!

Thursday, September 14, 2023

My Queen of the Night (Epiphyllum oxypetalum)

This plant smells so incredible that I literally sat out in the rain last night to watch it bloom. (That’s really saying something because I consider myself a morning person!)




This is Epiphyllum oxypetalum, commonly called Queen of the Night. It is by FAR the most fragrant flower in my tropical-style garden. It has tough competition with my plumeria, gardenias, ginger, Brugmansia, and jasmine, but the scent is so strong and smells so clean.



Unfortunately, the flowers only open up for one night and they produce just a handful of flowers each year. It’s worth the wait because I’ve noticed the plant will send out a “flush” of blooms. That means when the plant is in bloom it is often COVERED in them. These plants naturally grow on trees which makes them incredibly well-behaved container plants.


Epiphyllum oxypetalum is not commonly available for sale at local garden centers, but is very easy to share with friends! My plant grew from a cutting my neighbor gave me from her plant when I lived in Florida 5 years ago. All I had to do was stick it in some soil. It’s that easy!

June 2023

I'm training this plant to grow in a tomato cage. Check out this photo from June when I first put it in the cage.

No comments:

Post a Comment