Search My Yard!

Monday, September 18, 2023

Flamethrower Palm photo DUMP!

It’s the last weekend of summer. Who would have thought a PALM TREE would be the first thing to show off some fall color


This is a flamethrower palm. The new leaves open up a deep red. It’s a total coincidence that it happens to always send up a new frond in September. So festive! I purchased this palm tree in 2018 at the Spring Plant Sale at Leu Gardens in Orlando. It grew two fronds a year when I lived in Florida and South Carolina but has slowed down to 1 a year here in New York. It still performs very well though!
A lot of people ask me what I do with my plants in the winter … I’m happy to report this palm makes a great houseplant! It prefers a shady spot and can handle low humidity. (See the last photo)





Check out the new rings! 


And a view from above



𝗪𝗵𝘆 𝗱𝗼𝗲𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝗽𝗮𝗹𝗺 𝘁𝘂𝗿𝗻 𝗿𝗲𝗱?
Scientists don’t actually know exactly the reason why this palm is adapted to make red leaves. It’s possibly an adaptation to protect the new fronds from intense sun and from animals looking to eat tender green leaves.
In a few weeks, chlorophyll will turn the frond green to maximize the energy the plant gets from the sun.
This palm prefers a shady spot and can handle low humidity. It’s a surprisingly easy houseplant, which is lucky for me because it sits in my kitchen 5 months out of the year.


No comments:

Post a Comment