Search My Yard!

Monday, June 8, 2015

Some blooms around the yard

Early June is definitely the awkward stage in a northern tropical garden. Everything still has a lot of filling out to do. But there are some beautiful things in bloom regardless of the transition between half dead during the winter and alive and well during the summer. Here are some bloom pics!

Knockout Roses are impossible not to like. For whatever reason this is the first year I've noticed a fragrance from them and it's pretty nice!


Speaking of fragrances, honeysuckles may be incredibly invasive but the blooms are incredible. I didn't plant it but I do mostly let it do it's own thing. I pull them out where I don't want them.





I bought a tropical hibiscus to fill the void while I wait for the ones I currently own to leaf and bud out. This one is called Cayman Wind and I find the foliage to be almost as interesting as the blooms.


Fuschias are pretty easy and the blooms are pretty awesome!



I'll never understand why more people aren't growing plumerias. Their blooms are as close to Hawaii as you can get in New York.


Cant believe I forgot the ID to this beautiful plant. I have another one in purple which has been around for probably 20+ years. This one I bought just 2 weeks ago.

 This is my first year growing eggplant and the blooms are tiny but beautiful.

And I am excited to announce that I'll be eating Cucuzza in the near future WAY earlier than last year. The earth box planters worked fantastic for my vegetables. I found at least 3 or 4 tiny female flowers on the plant which means my favorite dish of summer (Cucuzza, beef, shrimp, pasta, and a bunch of other tasty stuff in one dish) is just about 2 weeks away. Cant wait!



And I'll end this post with a pic of my Mahonia.

No comments:

Post a Comment